Well, certainly recent Presidents have made some appointments of women in
large part because they were women.  I don't think anybody is denying the
appropriateness of doing so.  Is religion different in this respect?  I
wonder.  If it is to any degree, is it because we're less concerned about
under-representation of Protestants than we are about under-representation
of women?  Is it because we think that religion is less likely than gender
to shape attitudes on matters of significance for a Supreme Court justice?

Rich