Thanks much to Chip for initially bringing my piece to the attention of the
list, and to Ryan for flagging George's response. I would urge anyone who
read my review (ssrn.com/abstract=2554192) to also read Professor George's
response (thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/02/14430/) in full.

Professor George certainly pulls no punches (as you can see below, "ad
hominem" and "intellectual dishonest hit piece" appear in the opening
lines), and he argues at considerable length that -- contrary to my
contention that he has changed his view on religious exemption rights -- he
still believes Smith was correctly decided and that there is no
constitutional right (as opposed to a moral right) to religious exemptions.

For those who have a chance to read Professor George's response and are
interested in my thoughts, here's what initially strikes me as most
notable: (1) the response nowhere addresses Professor George's authorship
of the Manhattan Declaration, which decried the "restrictions on free
exercise of religion" imposed by "case law," and which his co-author
explicitly said was written because Smith "stands the First Amendment on
its head"; (2) it conflates support for discretionary legislative
exemptions with support for a "right" to exemptions; support for the former
-- which Professor George has consistently shown -- is not the same as
support for the latter -- which my piece contends he has not consistently
shown; and (3) it assumes that one can routinely invoke Madison and the
Constitution when framing his discussions of religious exemptions, but then
claim to be making only a "moral" argument about exemptions so long as one
does not use the precise phrase, "the Constitution requires an exemption."
I am confident that the vast majority of people who read George's book, his
related essays and interviews, and the Manhattan Declaration would be left
with the strong impression that George believes constitutional rights, not
just moral rights, are at stake in this struggle.

On a non-substantive note, I must confess amusement that, having written an
entire book framed around calling his intellectual opponents "enemies of
conscience," Professor George begins his response by decrying *ad hominem *
attacks.

- Jim

<http://ssrn.com/author=357864>