I doubt that most list members are very engaged in this tussle between Jim
Oleske and Robby George.  George and his friends certainly seem very
engaged, though -- one might say they are more than a tad defensive in
their responses to Jim Oleske's rigorously argued (I repeat) review of
George's book.  As I see it, the matter comes down to this -- George
(unlike Michael Paulsen) was a big fan of Emp Div. v. Smith.  And George
did call for practice specific exemptions, when justified, by
legislatures.  But, to the best of my knowledge, George (unlike Paulsen)
never defended or championed RFRA until his conservative Christian allies
found comfort from it.  George did not call for RFRA's enactment back in
1992; he did not cheer when RFRA became law in 1993; he did not lament City
of Boerne in 1997; and he did not say "hurray for RFRA" in 2006 when a
unanimous Supreme Court upheld the RFRA rights of UDV members to use hoasca
tea in their sacraments.
And it's not surprising that George did not celebrate any of this -- the
distinction he makes between free exercise adjudication and RFRA
adjudication will not bear nearly the weight he now wants to put on it.
Yes, we all know that RFRA is a statute, subject to Congressional control.
But we also know that RFRA is effectively un-repealable; that Congress has
never revised a RFRA outcome; and most basically, that RFRA asks judges to
perform the precise tasks that Scalia asserted in Smith were outside the
competence of judges.  No one who embraced Scalia's description of limits
on the judicial role could be a fan of RFRA, unless perhaps it turned out
that RFRA helped his friends.  I understand that people can change their
minds when their interests are implicated, but a little humility (not
accusations of "smear") seems in order.