Chip,

I’m with Doug on this: I also think Smith was wrongly decided, so you have put
me in the wrong group; even on your view of the matter, I’m not a clinger.

And I *haven’t* seconded any argument about political accountability. In fact,
I very much worry that there will be too little room for religious freedom if
the matter is left to the political process. Recent developments confirm my
fears. I want Smith to be overruled. Meanwhile I’m willing to support RFRAs as
a second best approach (and perhaps as a better approach than what might be put
in place of Smith, were it to be overruled).

What I *have done* is to point out that there are people who are convinced of
two perfectly consistent propositions: (1) Smith was right as a matter of
whether the Constitution requires religious exemptions, and (2) a RFRA approach
is good policy. They may have various reasons for taking both of those
positions. They need not agree with the reasons Justice Scalia gave in his
Smith opinion. I need not agree with any of their reasons to recognize that
they put them forward reasonably and in good faith.

Even if I thought that Smith got it right as a matter of constitutional law –
perhaps, to use a counterfactual, because I somehow was persuaded that it was
right on originalist grounds – I still would support the RFRA approach. I’m not
persuaded that the concerns expressed by Justice Scalia about (as you term
them) “normative and institutional deficiencies” outweigh the need for real and
substantial protection of religious exercise against neutral, generally
applicable laws. It’s not that Justice Scalia’s concerns “go away;” I never
found them persuasive in the first place.

Best,
Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law