I think Smith was wrong. But those who think it right think so for a variety of
reasons. They may think the original public meaning simply didn’t include
exemptions, and think that unfortunate. They may not at all buy Scalia’s
argument about how terrible it is for judges to make judgments. Recall Bill
Marshall’s argument that the result was right but the opinion was a travesty.

Even if they rely on legislative oversight, they may think that in a
sufficiently clear or unpopular case, legislative oversight would come. State
legislatures have enacted plenty of RFRA exceptions, some of them reasonably
sensible and some of them deeply ill-advised. Most of these were part of the
initial enactment, but at least Illinois and Florida have enacted RFRA
exceptions in response to particular litigation. Supporters of both Smith and
RFRA may also think that the present legislative polarization will not last
forever, and sooner or later, it will be possible for Congress to legislate
again.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546