From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of James Oleske
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:25 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: The racist prostitute hypothetical

Brad writes:

"[T]he fact that people have wrongly tried [to] make religious freedom claims
doesn't mean we disregard all religious freedom claims.  We ought to be able to
distinguish between the two."

Although Brad thinks the law "ought" to be able to distinguish between "wrong"
and "correct" religious freedom claims, we can all agree that this view is
flatly inconsistent with Supreme Court precedent, correct?

"[I]t is not for us to say that their religious beliefs are mistaken or
insubstantial. Instead, our 'narrow function . . . in this context is to
determine' whether the line drawn reflects 'an honest conviction.'

"Repeatedly and in many different contexts, we have warned that courts must not
presume to determine . . . the plausibility of a religious claim."

"[R]eligious beliefs need not be acceptable, logical, consistent, or
comprehensible to others in order to merit First Amendment protection"

- Jim