To clarify, Eugene: Would this "maximalist equal treatment" theory prohibit
legislative exemptions available to religion but not non-religion, or just
legislative burdens placed on religion but not non-religion? If only the
latter, is it really a maximalist equal treatment theory? If both the
former and the latter, is it remotely reconcilable with either current
doctrine or longstanding tradition allowing legislative accommodation of
religion? See Cutter ("Religious accommodations ... need not 'come packaged
with benefits to secular entities'").

- Jim