I agree that play in the joints is a way to describe how to handle the problem
of those situations where general principles of non-establsihment run into
general principles of free exerice.  However, I do not think that maximalist
equality or free exercise+equality captures the range of free exercise
interests and principles at stake.

There are not hard edged rules in some hard cases.  They simply cannot be
decided syllogistically  or even on a principled balance of principles.  Some
things are just ad hoc and highly fact dependent and based on judgments the
premises for which are not always fully articulated or even articulable.

I think both Rosenberger and CLS are this type of case.  There are lots of
words there, but at the end of the day, neither one is fully defensible on any
particular principle or set of principles that anyone would apply rigorously
across the board.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar
Assoc. Dir. of International Programs

"A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged, it is the skin of a living
thought and may vary greatly in color and content according to the
circumstances and the time in which it is used."

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes in Towne v. Eisner, 245 U.S. 418, 425 (1918)