Hi Saša,

* Saša Janiška via Remind-fans <[email protected]> [2022-07-03 12:13]:
some time ago I was considering whether to use remind instead of taskawarrior, but then realized that remind is "...more a calendar/event/reminder tool" and "...not really a task manager tool", so I moved to Etm.

I use remind for events and taskawarrior for tasks and so radicale-remind supports both.

Now, I'm considering to simply use remind/wyrd for calendar events and wonder how does it work with remind-caldav/radicale-remind?

The difference between both is the question of if you want to use the icalendar or Remind format as a ground truth. For simple events it does not make a difference but for complex reminders, like canceled events in icalendar or omit contexts in Remind, the python-remind library converts the data only in the evaluated form¹. So, if you mainly edit events in icalendar (Thunderbird) then use remind-caldav whereas if you want to make use of all the features of Remind then use radicale-remind.

It is also a question of where you store your data and where you want to edit it. radicale-remind needs the Remind files so you want to run it on the system where you edit the files as well (or use some syncing tool). Personally I have radicale-remind running on a small server where wyrd is running in a tmux and where I edit the files.

It seems if I want to keep remind/wyrd for calendar events only, I do not need radicale-remind and can keep using Baikal, iow. no need to migrate from Baikal to Radicale?

The migration from Baikal to Radicale should be easy as you can transfer all the data with remind-caldav.

Cheers Jochen


¹: This is due to both format being rather expressive and I tried to support all the syntax I need. Please open bug reports with examples if you want more syntax directly translated.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to