On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 15:30, Saša Janiška via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote: > On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 22:01:59 +0200 > Jochen Sprickerhof via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:
> Btw, for the purpose of syncing remind/taskwarrior/abook files between the > desktop and production server running Radicale, which tool would you > recommend: > syncthing or unison? I have no need (atm)to sync anything else... Hi, I know nothing about syncthing but I have been using and relying on unison for years. The key feature of unison is that both machines are peers (the newest addition/deletion/edit on either side is synced to both sides). The sync is manually initiated from either side, and proposed changes are manually reviewed, and possibly diffed, or merged, or skipped, or cancelled, before action. So for a situation where a user intermittently works on one machine, and then sometimes on another, this is very useful. A disadvantage of unison is that both computers must be running the same version of Unison, compiled with the same version of the Ocaml libraries. And full resync is required whenever the version is changed. wikipedia [1] says: Unison differs from Syncthing in several ways, the main one being that Syncthing is designed for always-on, automated synchronization, whereas Unison is designed for synchronization that is triggered and monitored by the user. Syncthing is peer-to-peer, while Unison is not. I don't agree with that last sentence, or perhaps I don't understand it. [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_(software) _______________________________________________ Remind-fans mailing list [email protected] https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/
