Hi there,

Until recently, I was using remind for non-timed reminders, I've decided to 
give it a try with timed reminders but I don't understand the output I'm 
getting. Ultimately, I want to use something like notify-send to issue 
notifications on my desktop (PopOS, which is basically ubuntu 22.04 with gnome) 
but for now, I'm just testing with a basic 'echo' command.

Here are my comments and questions (see [1], [2], [3] and [4] below in the 
terminal session log):

- [1] that's what I would expect as all REM commands do trigger today
- [2] that's what I would also expect, as remind will fork a background process 
to handle queued reminders (man page)
- [3] I don't get this one, as I would expect the echo command to be triggered 
only for queued reminders, not for all reminders. The man page clearly states: 
"If you follow the -k option with a colon, then the command is applied only to 
queued timed reminders. Normal reminders are handled as usual". I would expect 
only the past reminders to trigger, but not the future ones. Did I 
misunderstand something?
- [4] I don't get this one either. Looking at the man page: "The -a option 
causes Remind not to immediately trigger timed reminders that trigger on the 
current day. It also causes Remind not to place timed reminders in a calendar. 
If you supply two or more -a options, then Remind will trigger timed reminders 
that are in the future, but will not trigger timed reminders whose time has 
passed.". That's the output I would expect if I use -aa but not -a. What did I 
miss?

Last question (please bear with me): how do I run remind to:

- get past timed reminders for the day when I log on?
- make sure future timed reminders get triggered when they are due?

Many thanks in advance to Dianne and the community.

Cheers /jerome

Here is the session log:
==========================================================
~ remind --version
05.00.08

~ cat .reminders
REM AT 07:30 MSG Morning routine
REM AT 14:00 MSG Backup laptop
REM AT 22:00 MSG Evening RoutineREM AT 15:59 MSG It's time

~ date
Sun 10 Nov 14:31:04 CET 2024

~ remind .reminders [1]
Reminders for Sunday, 10th November, 2024 (today):

Morning routine

Backup laptop

Evening Routine

It's time

~ psgrep remind [2]
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMANDjerome 330218 0.0 0.0 
19392 772 pts/1 S 14:31 0:00 remind .reminders

~ remind '-k:echo %s' .reminders [3]
Reminders for Sunday, 10th November, 2024 (today):

Morning routine

Backup laptop

Evening Routine

It's time

~ psgrep remind
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMANDjerome 363810 0.0 0.0 
19392 900 pts/1 S 14:38 0:00 remind -k:echo %s .reminders

~ killall remind

~ remind -a '-k:echo %s' .reminders [4]
2 reminder(s) queued for later today.

==========================================================
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to