On Sat, 9 Aug 2025 11:54:23 -0500
Tim Chase via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:

> My gut feeling is that it mostly just mimics existing functionality,
> and fails to be as flexible as existing functionality.

OK, fair.  I also don't use tasks or TODOs (the joy of being retired!)

However, many/most calendar programs do have a task list that presents
quite a different view from the normal calendar, and I'm sure there are
people out there who like that workflow.

Even the ICAL standard distinguishes between events (VEVENT) and
tasks (VTODO).  Right now, there's no decent way to convert an ical
VTODO to anything in Remind.

Although it's certainly possible to roll your own in Remind's scripting
language, I think there are at least two major benefits to a built-in
way of representint tasks:

1) Possibility to convert more faithfully to and from ical format.

2) Possibility for front-ends such as TkRemind and Wyrd to offer a Task
view with all the conveniences users might expect (easily mark a task
done, for example.)

I have started implementing some ideas in the wip/todos branch in the
git repo (https://salsa.debian.org/dskoll/remind/-/tree/wip/todos) but
have not done very much at all.  I'll wait to hear from others if they
think there's any point to doing this.

Regards,

Dianne.
_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to