At 11:03 PM 11/24/03 -0600, you wrote:

>mch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ac0y5 wrote:
> > > Otherwise I must use what I can get at a price that I can afford.
> >
> > I don't know what you paid (perhaps nothing?), but you can buy a
> > Motorola or GE for a couple hundred bucks down to next to nothing.
> > If I were to consider my time, I would save more money spending a couple
> > hundred bucks now. Yes, I would take a Spectrum. I could use the rack
> > for mounting a controller or something.
>
>The spectrum RF gear does work EXCELLENT as a door stop!!
>
> > But the main problem I've had with Spectrum is that it can be 'right'
> > when you put it on, but a few weeks later, the tuning changes on its own
> > and it's no longer 'right'!
>
>I've also seen this with spectrum equipment.
>
> > I eagerly anticipate your views on Spectrum in a year. :-))
>
>Yes, that will be interesting.

Let me tell you about a certain high-band Spectrum...

Many years ago the W6TRW ham radio club at TRW in Los
Angeles had a Spectrum that was factory ordered in the low
end of the 145mhz range...

Mind you this group had some high powered RF types as
members.... guys that designed RF links for spy satellites...
I worked there in the 1986-87-88 time frame.... For a feeling
of the environment there read the book "The Falcon and the
Snowman" sometime... it all happened there.

The Spectrum SCR-1000 RX was quite sensitive once you
got past the tendency to desense (use the best duplexer
you can afford), and the TX was OK....except...

We had it feeding a isolator, a pass cavity, a PD 6-can pass-
reject duplexer, 30-40 feet of 7/8" feedline and a 22' Stationmaster.

The equipment was installed in the utility room of the penthouse of a
12 story office building, with the antenna on a 10 foot tower section
mounted to the roof of the adjacent elevator equipment room.

There was one other radio there, a 60w GE Mastr-II UHF repeater used
by the company rent-a-cops (the radio was complete with a 4-channel
GE voter, with three aux receivers in outlying buildings - this was a
10-12 building campus spread across 4 city blocks).

There is still to this day another 3 story government office building across
the street that hosts a number of city, county, state and federal agencies
and on the roof is a forest of antennas...

Despite the skill of the RF engineers at TRW, and at least one, maybe two
return trips to Spectrum, over a period of time the Spectrum caused the
W6TRW folk to get to know the radio techs from the LAPD, the LAFD,
the LA county radio shop, the FBI, the FAA (at LAX, a few miles away), the
Navy, the Air Force, the Secret Service, and at least one alphabet soup
agency that officially doesn't exist... (one of the customers for the spy
satellites)
all of which used the radio spectrum in the 136-150 or 160-172mhz range
or "somewhere in the 225-420mhz range"....

Each time the interference complaints stopped the day the Spectrum
went off the air.  Each time it was turned back on after being "fixed" it
was clean for a while (anything from a week to 4 months) then a phone
call arrived from a different agency...

It was replaced with a factory built 136-150mhz 90w Mastr-II that was
set up by WA6DPB's commercial 2-way shop. The day it went up on
the building the temptation to drop the Spectrum off the side was there
but the ham club would have had to pay for the cracked concrete 12
stories below.  Aside from resetting the frequency about 6 months after
it went up (after the crystals aged a little) the GE radio has needed zero
attention in over 12 years.

Please tune your new toy with a spectrum analyzer, then think three
times about putting it on an antenna, and if you value your amateur
license don't put it on a hill.

Mike WA6ILQ