mch wrote:

>I think much of the problem is in the tuning caps on both the exciter and PA.
>
>Joe M.
>
>ac0y5 wrote:
>

>>It seems a lot of the complaints are from oscillator drift and tuning drift.
>>I have a few questions Does anyone know if the main problem resides in the
>>exciter, or the power amp?

It has been my experience that any exciter or receiver that uses
variable capacitors for the tuning elements has a poorer tuning
stability.  The Spectrum equipment seems worse than any other, and the
problem *may* stem from the quality of the original parts used.
Motorola identified this stability 'problem' many years ago and decided
to use variable inductors where they could.  My Micor repeaters have
stayed in a perfect state of tuning since installed, for many, this is
getting to be 15+ years.

The biggest reason manufacturers use capacitors for tuning rather than
inductors is it allows for greater operating (tuning) range with no
change in parts.  In other words they can tune a greater span of Mhz
with the same part values.  This 'feature' is nice because some
commercial radios will more easily tune the ham band and retain original
specifications, but at the expense of tuning stability.  The GE Mastr II
is a great radio, and is very popular because it tunes most of the ham
bands without much, if any, modification, but they certainly don't have
the stability of radio sets that utilize inductor tuning elements.  All
of the Mastr II's I have, have required retuning during the same time
frame as above, (usually one a year for optimal performance) but they
too use variable caps for the tuning.

It only stands to reason that something that is limited to certain
tuning 'ranges' will provide better stability.  Inductor tuning doesn't
lend itself to being pulled too far, so making one of these radios that
were originally configured for the commercial band tune the ham band is
more difficult because part change-out is a necessity, but you certainly
don't have to worry about the thing going out of tune.

Spectrum purposely designed their equipment to tune from DC to light,
and while you can make them work very well, just don't expect them to
stay.....
Oh, to answer the rest of your question, in my opinion, every part of
the Spectrum Radio is unstable, whether it be the receiver, exciter or PA.

Kevin Custer