Kevin Custer wrote:

> mch wrote:
>
> >I think much of the problem is in the tuning caps on both the exciter and PA.
>
> The Spectrum equipment seems worse than any other, and the
> problem *may* stem from the quality of the original parts used.

That certainly is the case with Hamtronics (at least the early 80s UHF
stuff). I suspect the same may be the case with Spectrum. I think it was
Lee who said it was also partly design. I was usually able to tune the
spurs out of them, so I think it was mainly a component issue. But, the
components are admittedly part of the design.

> The biggest reason manufacturers use capacitors for tuning rather than
> inductors is it allows for greater operating (tuning) range with no
> change in parts.  In other words they can tune a greater span of Mhz
> with the same part values.  This 'feature' is nice because some
> commercial radios will more easily tune the ham band and retain
> original specifications, but at the expense of tuning stability.

This is also not the type of 'feature' you want in a repeater. The
tighter, the better. One thing I particularly like about the Micor and
MASTR II is the inability to hear a signal several MHz away from the
operating frequency. While this makes these units harder to tune to a
distant segment, it also means that even without duplexers, and with a
crystal operating on frequency several MHz away, it won't hear much on
that frequency. That greatly reduces the chances for intermod, and in
the case of the TX, even if you do get a spur, the unit design itself is
working with you to ensure that it doesn't get anywhere - as opposed to
a broadband unit that will pass it as if it were on on-frequency on-tune
signal. Broadband is great for internet, but not for repeaters.

> The GE Mastr II is a great radio, and is very popular because it
> tunes most of the ham bands without much, if any, modification, but
> they certainly don't have the stability of radio sets that utilize
> inductor tuning elements.

Still, it is a much better unit than most similar units.

> All of the Mastr II's I have, have required retuning during the same
> time frame as above, (usually one a year for optimal performance) but
> they too use variable caps for the tuning.

I can't say I've had that kind of maintenance requirement with the
MASTR-II, but your point still stands. Then again, I suppose I have with
respect to the amp losing a joint or two - usually on the output of the
transistors. Maybe it's because I usually give it a once-over at that
time anyway that I never noticed such a tuning problem.

> It only stands to reason that something that is limited to certain
> tuning 'ranges' will provide better stability.

And better rejection of 'out of range' segments.

To touch upon my earlier point in another way, scanners are great
receivers, but they are designed to receive almost anywhere. As such,
they have a tendency to... well... receive anywhere! They are much more
prone to intermod and overload since there is little to no front end on
them. Repeaters, by design, should not need to receive or transmit on
more than one frequency (one each for TX and RX). As such, sensitivity
is needed only on one frequency - not across an entire range. The more
your repeater rejects other frequencies by itself, the less 'stress' you
place on your duplexer and other filters. The more broad your repeater
is, the more you have to rely on your duplexer rejecting out of band
signals - both from the 'outside world' AND from your repeater.

> Spectrum purposely designed their equipment to tune from DC to light,
> and while you can make them work very well, just don't expect them to
> stay.....

Actually, I've found that most Spectrums do
stay within that range (DC to light) ;->

> Oh, to answer the rest of your question, in my opinion, every part of
> the Spectrum Radio is unstable, whether it be the receiver, exciter or PA.
>
> Kevin Custer

True, but if your receiver is a POS, at least you're
not going to affect anyone other than yourself.

Joe M.