I think that it could be made to work, but you would have to split
the radio apart and separate the transmitter and receiver and
probably put them in separate RF tight boxes boxes and use
feed-through capacitors and filtering networks.

The boxes would need to be completely shielded and you probably
would need a couple of stages of feed-through capacitors and
choke stages to bring the signals out.  If you put the volume
control and squelch control inside the box, that saves three or
four wires.

Motorola uses three feed-through to ground with two series
chokes and completely separated barriers compartments in their
older motrac base stations to keep their VHF stations free of
desense.

I have done a little of this, switching around receivers
from mobiles into motrac base stations to convert them to
repeaterreceivers.  I bought the feed-throughs and the
chokes and built the stages.

This is possible, but it really may be more trouble than
it is worth.  It probably would be a better idea to find
something else, but start this project as a long term
learning exercise.

Micheal Salem N5MS