So what is he going to do? Confiscate your laptop? That would set a very
dangerous precedent. Remember - if they confiscate something under that
law, they HAVE to return it in the same condition it was confiscated.
Confiscated equipment under that law is not contraband.

Also, keep in mind that the scanner doesn't even have to be ON - somple
posession of a receiver is enough. So, under your definition, any laptop
is CAPIBLE of receiving police transmissions? The guy would have to be
having a really bad day to push that through.

There is STILL the ham exemption.

But, we've wantered significantly off topic.

Joe M.