At 07:52 PM 4/13/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>The repeater is made up of a Maggoire HiPro transmitter, GE Mastr Pro ER41
>receiver, Cat-1000 contoller.  I am taking audio from the high side of the
>volume control in the ER41.  I've turned up the transmitter to 4.5 Khz and
>the Cat-1000 tx level at right about 4.0 Khz, which passes the PL tones just
>fine.  As for bypassing anything, no that I have not done, all is just as it
>was.

<---If you mean by "I've turned up the transmitter to 4.5 Khz" that you've
adjusted the deviation control, what was your input "deviation" when you
did that?

I big mistake a lot of repeater owners make is not setting the deviation
level while slightly overdriving the transmitter input to make sure the
transmitter is actually limiting the deviation. This would explain how
*any* user could force the transmitter to greater than 4.5 Khz, in your case.

In other words, simply adjusting the output of the controller to obtain 4.5
Khz deviation ain't gonna do it. Unless you force the transmitter into
actual limiting (clipping), you'll never limit deviation correctly.

Ken

President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of state-of-the-art repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.ah6le.net/arcom/index.html
We now offer complete Kenwood TKR repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net