Per the 555 Timer Chip Data Sheet Operation Description:

The 555 operational time values depends mostly on the ratio of
voltage set-points and remains relatively free from most of the
typical issues experienced with external rc networks and feedback
type oscillators.

Before there was really low cost crystal referenced tone generators
there was a number of both well done 555 DTMF and 555 CTCSS tone
generation circuits that worked without a hitch.

555 output Square waves should look just fine when filtered for
audio at the end of a simple low cost rc network.

Working 555 examples include the ctcss generator shown on the
sonic web page. The Heathkit DTMF mic available with their early
2-meter kit radios. The gazillion made Heathkit Code Practice
Oscillators.

One nice thing about the 555 chip is the available output easily
drives low impedance loads quite well. Also makes a nice oscillator
to generate voltages independent of the package supply. Some 70's
vintage radios used the 555 chip to generate a negative rail supply
for those early eprom, prom and op-amp circuits. Quite the problem
solving work-horse device and it has a practical use as a pretty
good audio oscillator.

cheers,
s.

> The 555 has been used for many timer applications.  However, it
timing is controlled with and RC network and these are difficult to
keep within any tight accuracy like that of DTMF encoding.  Besides
there are plenty of xtal controlled devices for this.

> And as you said the output is a square wave, not always desirable
for audio.  However, does make a pretty clock for digital circuits.
There are many applications the 555 can be used for.