-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve S. Bosshard
(NU5D)
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:26 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Making room for the new guy - repeater
coordination - Hope this is not too off topic...

Hi Glenn,

If old Joe's repeater were usable and folks were making use of it by all
means leave it alone. Poor old Joe's repeater is not working so well with a
bad antenna, and it only has 2 folks that make contact for a couple of
minutes a day. The folks wanting the digital repeater could help fix Joe's
antenna and get it back in shape, but Joe don't want to mess with it. If
they get is back in shape they have a 20 Khz FM repeater not much different
than the others in town. If they partner with Joe and upgrade to digital,
depending on whether they occupy the middle of the channel, or offset up or
down 6.25 Khz, they can restore Joe's system to a ?better? system, and make
room for one more repeater in the area.

This is only because there are no more 2M or 70CM channels available in
Joe's neighborhood, and the folks wanting to place the new digital system
have no other place within the rules to go in the band they want.

Never would I want wholesale run this through and make it happen, but
thoughtful well planned migration might be a good thing.

Also like you said, the new equipment would cost more than fixing the old
system for Joe, but then folks would not have the benefits of the digital
system - no white noise (garble instead), good comm grade audio, and a
smaller occupied bandwidth.

I certainly respect your comments, and your points are valid. I am just
trying to put forth some ideas that will foster a planned gradual move for
some folks to digital - by no means a wholesale jump like the cellular folks
did. Also there are still folks with radios that don't have channel guard
tone - some things don't change.

Lets put your 2 cents and a few others together and have a cup of coffee,
73, Steve NU5D

(BTW - I can assure you that not all land mobile operators, RCCs etc have
buckets of money - forced migration in the SMR business was very costly for
me, and this don't take into account loss of customers who didn't want to
mess with re-programming radios) sb.

Glenn Shaw wrote:
> Steve
>
> Wouldnt it be easy and more effective and cheaper if your: ..."hand
> full of folks" just go ahead and use Joes repeater that is already on
> the air instead of complicating the situation more than it needs to
> be? Of course
>

> Refarming ham radio wholesale will be ill advised and I dont think you
> will see it in our lifetimes.. The users of ham radio are not the US
> government or public saftey or RCC's with bottomless buckets of money
> to just go out and replace equipment. We are losing people in the ham
> radio community not gaining them. Most hams buy a radio and use it for
> years and dont have to
>
> For those that want to experiment and promote investigation of the new
> dig modulation such as DStar and P25 that is good and we should
> encourage this on new spectrum that can be found that is unused,
> without destroying the existing repeater sub bands.
>
> Just my .02 for thought.
>
> Glenn N1GBY

Checked by AVG.
3:59 PM