Gentle people,

I've been sitting quietly on the sidelines, watching this thread progress.
And I think that maybe it's time for me to jump in with my own opinions on
digital vs. analog.  (Whether it be P-25 or D-Star)

Although I'm usually very open to newer technology, this digital (or better
said, "digitized") voice thing has me very concerned.  As a public safety
worker, I shudder to think that maybe some day I might need assistance and
call for back-up, only to have my meaning misunderstood because a few
syllables were dropped because of the CODEC.  For example: how many people
have told someone else on their cell phone that "you sounded like you just
went under water?"  (Especially with Nextel?????)  Or suddenly had your call
discontinued - with no prior warning/indication?

As ham radio operators, one of our missions is to pass critical traffic...
we cannot fulfill that mission if the traffic cannot be properly received in
the first place, whether it is because we cannot ourselves discern the
message or it is obscured because of "artificial" means.  My question is:
why make it more difficult on ourselves to accomplish this mission by adding
another layer of fallibility into the picture?

Now in regard to the testing/repairing these D-Star systems...  I didn't
become a ham until later in life, although I've always had an interest in
radio.  But since I have, I continue to strive to be more than just an
"appliance operator"...  I need to be able to understand how it works, and
if within my means, troubleshoot and/or repair it.  Based on the earlier
statement that the only way to test/repair these stations is to "box and
ship" it back to the manufacturer, I feel we as Amateurs are taking a huge
step backward, both for ourselves and for our hobby.

I also feel we are doing the Amateur Radio Service itself a huge disservice,
since one of the basic tenets of the Service itself is to "Expan(d) the
existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators,
technicians, and electronics experts."  [Part 97.1(d)]

OK, flame-proof suit on...  You may fire when ready, Gridley!

73 de Mark - N9WYS