* n9wys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007 Sep 20 15:02 -0500]:

> Now in regard to the testing/repairing these D-Star systems...  I didn't
> become a ham until later in life, although I've always had an interest in
> radio.  But since I have, I continue to strive to be more than just an
> "appliance operator"...  I need to be able to understand how it works, and
> if within my means, troubleshoot and/or repair it.  Based on the earlier
> statement that the only way to test/repair these stations is to "box and
> ship" it back to the manufacturer, I feel we as Amateurs are taking a huge
> step backward, both for ourselves and for our hobby.

Actually, not so much a step backward as outward, as we hams have so
far avoided being held hostage by the manufacturers in that way.  Sure,
most any modern radio is likely to be factory repaired, but many
independent shops also perform the work.  If a future digital
implementation were to use a codec under a license prevents divulging
of its operational parameters, then ham radio is "had".

> I also feel we are doing the Amateur Radio Service itself a huge disservice,
> since one of the basic tenets of the Service itself is to "Expan(d) the
> existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators,
> technicians, and electronics experts."  [Part 97.1(d)]

I most assuredly agree with your conclusion.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"