* Bernie Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007 Sep 27 11:05 -0500]:

> Last spring in Dayton, my buddy and I did an informal review of all the
> different state's HAM plates. Some were great looking advertisements for ham
> radio and some just looked like normal license plates. I wondered if those
> states just gave out vanity plates with the call sign rather than a custom ham
> plate.

Okay, I'm helping this thread further astray.  :-)

In Kansas our ham plates are the same design as the regular plates.
Vanity plates are an entirely different design and color and are issued
in pairs (otherwise only one plate).  However, one cannot get a slashed
0 on a vanity plate but just about any letter/number combination up to
7 characters is accepted.  I know a ham locally that put his call on a
vanity plate and the 0 is not slashed.  Interestingly, we can have our
callsign on one each of a car and pickup, but not two cars, or two
pickups, etc.  Motorcycles are limited to 5 characters so no ham plates
on bikes, although vanity plates are allowed.

If you want to have fun at at the DMV, just try to transfer your ham
plate from one pickup to another while still owning both!  Normally,
plates aren't transfered except on a transfer of ownership.  I did get
it done.  :-)

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of