Hi Paul,

I meant that it was not complicated to figure out.

For example if the receiver noise floor (sensitivity) is -120 dbm then the
transmitter noise power must be known at the receive frequency (as supplied
from the manufacturer or measured) and an amount of attenuation added at the
transmitter via cavity filters to bring that noise power down below the -120
dbm receiver noise floor.

 If the transmitter generated -40 dbm of noise power on the receive
frequency then you would need 80 db of attenuation in the transmitter line
to limit the noise seen at the receiver to -120 dbm. That's all there is to
it on that side.

On the receiver side you must know at what level the receiver begins to go
into compression and cause desense at the transmit frequency. You get that
from the receiver manufacturer or you measure it. You then add attenuation
in the receive line to attenuate the power of the transmitter carrier to a
level below that point. For example, 100 watts of transmitter power is +50
dbm. If the receiver can handle only -30 dbm at the transmit frequency
before desense starts then you need 80 db of filtering of the carrier in the
receive line to reduce the carrier to -30 dbm at the receiver front end. Not
complicated, you just need to know what the transmitter and receiver
capabilities are.

As a note, if you are measuring transmitter noise power with a spectrum
analyzer you will probably need to place a notch filter at the input of the
spectrum analyzer to reduce the transmitter carrier or the spectrum analyzer
will overload and give a false reading. A 100 watt carrier is +50 dbm. If
you are trying to look at noise at the -40 dbm level that is a 90 db range.
Many analyzers do not have that kind of dynamic range and will overload from
the carrier level. A notch filter that knocks the carrier down say 30 db
then allows the analyzer to operate in a 60 db range. Some analyzers may not
even be happy with that level especially those in service monitors so you
will need more than 30 db of notch filtering for the carrier.

Be careful with close spacing like at vhf (600 KHz) so that you don't also
attenuate the noise power at the frequency you are trying to measure.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____