-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul Plack
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:31 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Calculating required T/R isolation

Guys, thanks for the suggestions.

The duplexer manufacturer websites have scant info. TX-RX Systems has two
graphs, one for VHF high band, one for UHF, but no info on the assumptions
behind the math.

I'm skeptical about the usefulness of receiver adjacent-channel rejection
specs, for two reasons: (1) They include IF filtering, and desense happens
due to compression in mixer stages ahead of the IF, and (2) some filters
have poorer rejection out a couple hundred kHz than they do on the adjacent
channels.

I think what I'd need for a generic formula would be a way to account for
the dynamic range of the receiver front end, which is often spec'd as the
range limited by 1 dB compression in the first mixer, and I'd need accurate
sideband noise numbers for the transmitter.

I don't know what receiver or transmitter I'd use at this point. My former
repeater was a converted Mastr II mobile on UHF, with a TX-RX Systems 4-can,
and appeared to have plenty of reserve at -96+ dB on each side, 5 MHz
spacing, and dialed back to 18 watts out (just above where it started
getting "dirty" at QRP.)

What I'm working on now is an antenna designed with minimum tower coupling
as its first priority, preserving the deep null which naturally occurs
between vertical colinear arrays sharing a common vertical axis.

I've been bugged for decades by that ARRL graph showing dB isolation at
given vertical separations. Like the TX-RX website graphs, there's no
explanation of how it was derived. It assumes half-wave dipoles for both
antennas, but indicates no correction factor is required for gain antennas,
and that makes no sense.

Now that we have software which can accurately model antennas on towers, I'm
going to actually model my antenna idea on a virtual tower, and see what
happens. The goal is to potentially allow 6M or even 10M single-site
repeaters using separate antennas for transmit and receive.

(I know, I know...the holy grail.)

It's going to be lots of work to model and test it, so I'm trying to do
calculations applicable to a number of end-user configurations, not just one
specific TX / RX set I might personally use. I'd love to set up a
spreadsheet that accounted for all the necessary factors, and contribute it
to the web site.

If I actually build the repeater itself, I have two 100-watt-class Johnson
mobiles on low band / low split, retired from service in the broadcast RPU
band. (They're crystalled and tuned for 26-point-something, where radio
stations did linking for remote broadcasts before CB-ers discovered VFOs.)
They're nice, clean old rockbound rigs. I also have some monster surplus
heatsinks, a clean Astron RS35RM, and I still have the 7K.

I may yet talk myself into building another repeater. For all the hassles,
it sure was educational and fun!

73,

Paul AE4KR