Nate,

The telephone industry standard definition for the term "duplex" means able to
listen and talk simultaneously; the ability to have a channel in both
directions at the same time, without the need for push-to-talk.

In essence, if you can interrupt the other party without waiting for him to
finish, you're in "full duplex." Any dual-bander which can receive on one band
while it transmits on the other is capable of full duplex.

At one time, this was the difference between a "duplexer" and a "diplexer." A
duplexer was intended to allow simultaneous transmit and receive, as with an
in-band repeater; the diplexer allowed two transceivers on different bands to
function simultaneously into a common feedline and/or antenna.

Both these terms have been mangled pretty badly over the years.

The Scom controllers offer a duplex mode in their autopatches, but it would
only be useful on a crossband repeater. Mobiles could listen on 2M to the
caller while simultaneously transmitting on UHF, and the mobile station and
landline party could interrupt each other at any time, just like a normal phone
call.

In practice, this would drive licensees and control ops nuts, because the
mobile station's audio would not appear on the repeater output, and anyone
monitoring the repeater would only hear the landline party, without the mobile
station's side of the call.

73, Paul AE4KR