Bob,

I remember it well. I knew some guys in Buffalo NY back in the day who had
converted IMTS rigs (pre-cellular mobile phones) with full-sized 2M duplexers
in their trunks!

In Buffalo, the first big repeater group was BARRA, led by W2EUP, Gil Boelke
(sp?) and some fellow repeater enthusiasts who splintered off from the local
old-fogey HF club in the late 1960s. (Gil also started a company called GLB
Electronics, which manufactured early, aftermarket synthesizers for rockbound
2M radios.)

BARRA had an autopatch before there was touch-tone. Users fed a 400 Hz steady
tone fed through a rotary dial, and the number was pulse-dialed at the repeater
site by a relay.

One of my elmers had an Olds 98, and had replaced the large, round clock on the
dash with a nicely machined backing plate that matched the look of the
speedometer to its left. He used the blank plate to mount an actual Western
Electric rotary dial. I still remember the double-takes when passers-by saw his
dashboard.

Thanks for bringing those memories back!

73, Paul AE4KR