I think it's an interpretation of how you define failure of the control
link. You could use an active low COS and if the repeater controller
sees three minutes of continuous low, it assumes the control has failed.

But, that is a discussion for another day - or another list.

But, you brought up the original question - DOES the automatic control
relieve the need for any other control?

Joe M.