Brent,
more models of Motorola mobiles will go into some amateur band than
those that will not. More importantly though are the limits you might
need to place on such an investment for example, newer models will
generally cost more to acquire but they often offer more features and/or
capabilities than some earlier equivelents. Also, while there are a few
models made over the past 20 years or so that can work in the amateur 10
meter and 220Mhz bands there are far more that operate fine in the
amateur 6 meter, 2 meter, 440Mhz, and 902Mhz bands and very few cover
more than one band in one radio. Which band(s) do you want to start
with? I suggest studying the online resources such as
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/  and  http://www.batlabs.com/
(and other sites) to learn more on the complexity of each model and
perhaps the investment you may have to make in programming materials as
well as any special tools you may not already have. Generally speaking,
the newer models tend to need only programming modifications where as
some older models may need that and perhaps a hardware mod or retuning
that requires some test equipment. Also, look around for a mentor in
your area, someone further along with using commerial gear in the
amateur band that may be willing and able to help you find your first
radios and learn how to get them going. That's the best way I know of to
avoid buying a radio on the wrong split or, buying someone's bench-built
that may or may not work fine or, buying a radio that's been hacked into
an unrecoverable fault condition, etc.
my 2ยข,
Gary