With new systems, there are usually horror stories.

Our county is essentially an ancient lake bottom and
is very flat.  We will be adding a 5th and possibly
a 6th tower to support areas of poor coverage.  I
consider this a flaw in the original system design
for this area.  There have also been "dead-spots"
with the traditional FM systems.

One of our county's township's firefighter told
me that they always switch to analog when arriving
at an incident.  Their lack of confidence relates
in part to a structure fire when they heard a
firefighter inside screaming for help to dispatch.
Dispatch didn't respond until later when dispatch
saw that the emergency button was triggered.
Obviously, his transmission was going through the
system and it was probably a surge issue at dispatch.
Our county has a population of approximately
164,000 with three dispatchers for police, fire,
and EMS.  The emergency button flashes on all of
their screens and also appears at the state-wide
site.

Our county APCO P25 trainer mentions that local
acoustical noise makes the transmission difficult
to understand and to be sure to hold the microphone
2 to 5 cm away from the mouth.  He discourages
the practice of using the microphone at arm's
length.

He also discourages the practice of "clicking"
the PTT for an acknowledgment, as there is no
squelch tail.

I particularly enjoy the inter-operability and
the instant display of the transmitting station's
identification.  I occasionally hear garbled
voices during a transmission from a person in
an area of poor coverage.  We have not seen
a large enough event to consume all of our
talk-paths yet.

Each of our towers has at least two different
microwave paths.  Our county is about 70 Kilometers
in the longest direction.  The Michigan State
Police project is quite an ambitious system
in area covered.  About 250,000 square km and
10,000,000 population.