"My father had a Link FM transmitter on VHF - used a pair of 2E26's in the
final"

Never saw that transmitter.  The ones that I had used a 2E26 to drive an 829B
final for VHF high.  Only put out about 30 to 40 watts but it was an easy mod.
to a 5894.  It would smoke then; easily put out 80 to 90 watts and plates
always stayed gray.  I believe that transmitter was a model 1905 and the
companion receiver was a 2240.  Would remove the vibrator power supplies from
those receivers and build an AC power supply for it, put volume and squelch
controls and a speaker in the cabinet and sell them as monitor receivers before
the days of scanners.  None of the Link mobiles had key locks, the two-box
radios used those captive 1/4 turn fasteners on the covers and the later one
piece 6000 series used spring loaded latches on the sides of the drawer.  The
small upright cabinet (similar to a compa-station cabinet did use key locks on
the doors as did the 6-foot uprights but a different handle on the bigger
cabinet.  They all had 2 meters and those big "pilot" lights with the 4 watt
117 volt bulbs in them.  Then there was the 2975 series UHF mobile and base
station.  It was rated at 15 watts but would rarely put out over about 10
watts.  Used a 5894 Tripler (!!!) driving another 5894 final.  Never could
figure out how they got enough drive out of a double-ended driver on an odd
harmonic to drive the final; probably the main reason it rarely made rated
power.  Sure wish I'd kept some of those old antiques, if just for the memories.
Tom DGN