John;

                There is indeed resistance to change. there are factions
even in the D-Star Camp. Control of the network is being wrestled about in 2
separate networks that split. Be that as it may . We have the luxury of
taking advantage of some really impressive reverse engineering that has been
going on and does allow for adding an adapter to a suitable repeater to make
it handle digital voice.. with D-Star voice protocols. For what many analog
controllers cost. or less.

                Folks who want to make the digital move need to evaluate
what they intend to do with their repeater. D-Star and P-25 have some ups
and downs of each.. In P25 there are no simple implementations of wide area
networking engineered into the CAI.. So routing calls to multiple repeaters
is not "easy". D-Star has routing in it but it is one of the complications
many complain about as it is not real intuitive on how to program it all to
get the desired results. Standalone Repeater options for either are fairly
simple. At this point assuming you have a digital capable station.. I think
it just became cheaper to do D-star conversion of that station. At least one
author is working diligently to allow both analog and digital use of the
Digital repeater modification he wrote and offers.. but it is in it's
infancy..

Anyone who is currently building analog AllStar Link repeaters using a DMK
URI already has the parts for a D-Star repeater .. assuming your TX and RX
will handle GMSK data of your repeater.. This includes many Mastr II
stations which seem to be a large portion of the amateur repeater world..

Cheap sound card interfaces..$ 10.00 each on Ebay or less can be used to
build the "controller" when hooked to a PC with appropriate software..

I built my first "Test" D-Star repeater from 2 Icom F420 commercial mobiles
and 2 USB Sound Fobs with a USB I/O controller to run the cor and PTT..

It works.. albeit basic. but $$$$ is not the key ingredient now.

Doug

KD8B