There are P25 repeaters on the air. Granted, not as many as D-STAR
(strictly talking about ham systems), but I know of nobody giving away
P25 repeaters. Also, I bet there are more P25 receivers owned by hams
than D-STAR since there are several scanners that decode P25, and only a
few that decode D-STAR (not ironically, all made by Icom).

Anyway, the point is not which format to use, but to make the systems as
flexible as possible so they can be available in emergencies. Simply
put, D-STAR is not as flexible as P25 since a P25 repeater can be made
to pass P25 or analog. Granted, D-STAR does have some format benefits,
but those could easily be added to P25 (or, the P25 benefits could be
added to D-STAR, as has been discussed).

There are also MotoTRBO repeaters in the ham bands, now. The more
various formats you add to the mix, the less we will be likely to use
them when they are needed. On the other hand, all the radios can use
analog - making it the clear choice for emergency communications.

Joe M.