I am new to RIFE, and find it a potentially very useful framework for
developing applications.  I have spent a day or so working through the user's
guide and trying out some of the examples.  They run successfully, but I am
very confused by the directory structure which is very different from that of
other apps I have developed and used within the Netbeans environment.  The
major difficulty for me is the duplication of files, and the difficulty of
knowing which copy to edit!  For example, it took me a while to work out how
to get the friends example running - I edited the datasources.xml file to set
up my postgresql connection and wondered why when the application ran it was
still looking for a database called rife which didn't exist.  The answer was
that I had to edit the copy under WEB-INF/classes/rep, not the one under
src/rep which seemed to perform no useful function!

I have been experimenting with trying to create the examples such as
01_helloworld from scratch within a more familiar directory structure, but
this hasn't been successful.  I just get Tomcat errors about the resource
being unavailable.  I suspect this is because RIFE is expecting a certain
directory structure and I haven't created it.

My questions are:

(1) is anyone else using the Netbeans IDE successfully (I note that Eclipse
and one other commercial IDE have plugins, but I don't really understand what
these do)?  Or do I just have to abandon Netbeans altogether?

(2) What directory structure does RIFE expect for a Java project? Is it as
rigid as wanting a WEB-INF/classes directory under the project root, or can I
organise files differently?

I hope someone can help me with these newbie issues!

With thanks,

David Herbert.