David Herbert wrote:

[snip]

(1) is anyone else using the Netbeans IDE successfully (I note that Eclipse and one other commercial IDE have plugins, but I don't really understand what these do)? Or do I just have to abandon Netbeans altogether?

I am. I follow the popular adage, "don't fight the system." In this case, I just follow RIFE's directory structure and it works well under NetBeans. I know it's strange that the folders appear as packages under "src", but it's only a minor inconvenience.

(2) What directory structure does RIFE expect for a Java project? Is it as rigid as wanting a WEB-INF/classes directory under the project root, or can I organise files differently?

If you modify your scripts to look for the XML files in a different location then copy those to the correct places at deployment, that should work.

I hope someone can help me with these newbie issues!

"Don't fight the system."