Kurtis,colleagues,

this is indeedone of the scenarios where the remuneration arrangementwouldnot work.We should not put a specific way to deal with situations like this in the document because we cannot foresee the details of the specific situation and we do have the governance structures in placeto take appropriate action. See below for a more verbose version of my thoughts on this.

Best

Daniel

------

In the arrangement described in the draft, the RIPE community requests that the RIPE NCC provide remuneration for the RIPE Chairs under the RIPE NCC's own responsibility and corporate governance. The RIPE NCC has indicated that it is prepared to accept this responsibility and in practice it already does this.

The RIPE NCC could inform the RIPE community that it cannot provide remuneration for the RIPE Chairs at any time and for any reason including the specific scenario you describe. Given the governance structure of the RIPE NCC this will not likely be an ad-hoc or arbitrary decision. It would then be up to the RIPE community to evaluate the situation at hand and either seek other arrangements for the remuneration of the RIPE Chairs or recall them.

The specific procedure you propose to deal with one of these casesrequires that the NomCom become a permanent committee which requires extra commitment from volunteers; it also provides an obvious and pre-agreed way for the RIPE NCC to influence the selection of the RIPE leadership. I do not think we should go there.

Given the close relations between the RIPE NCC and the RIPE community and the formal liaison between the RIPE NCC board and the RIPE NomCom I consider the language in the draft sufficient for this to work and to prevent accidents.

Daniel
a RIPE NCC employee, speaking for himself as a long time RIPE participant and former RIPE NomCom chair