On 15/03/2023 10:08, Joao Luis Silva Damas wrote:

On 14 Mar 2023, at 17:59, Nigel Titley via ripe-list <ripe-list@ripe.net> wrote:

Having said that, it may well be that continuing to accept that the RIPE NCC
continues to employ the RIPE Chair(s) is the only workable solution.

Would it be any better if the RIPE Chair was remunerated out of funding from
the Rob Blokzijl foundation?

Well, possibly. It would introduce an extra layer of insulation between the RIPE NCC and the RIPE Chair, but the major funding for the foundation is still the NCC.

I've got a slightly more ideological objection to the RIPE Chair being a full time position. I do feel that someone who's full time job is to be a Chair will tend to move towards a state of mind insulated from the Real World (tm), which is why I always felt that the Chair should be part time role. And there is always the temptation to make work to fill the time available.

However, this is a personal opinion.

Nigel