Yes, I figured the Windows shortcuts were a long shot but I was in
experimentation mode.

Yes, If I create symbolic links to the art then the server picks it up
and displays the art properly.  When I list the directory contents,
instead of seeing a folder.jpg of the original size (in this case 28737
bytes), I see the size of the link which turns out to be 90 bytes (see
image below).

[image: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8779/linuxsymboliclink.png]

Still a PITA to fiddle around on the command line but at least now
known to work. Thanks for the tip!

--
paulgj

*Squeezebox:* Touch
*Server:* LMS 7.7.1 on Home Built Ubuntu Server 11.10 (64-bit) Intel
Celeron G530, 8GB DDR3, 1 x 2TB Seagate SATA HD
*Playback:* HK 3490 Stereo Receiver | Polk Monitor 70's | Polk PSW505
*Ripping:* EAC v1.0 b3 to FLAC 1.2.1 --best compression. MP3tag v2.49