Sounds cool. Also sounds like it would split the stream though and
disperse the energy on the project. I'd be interested to hear Fred
Gleason's take on the idea. I'd personally love to have Rivendell on
Apple hardware even better on OS X but there is a thin market for this
and if there are too many streams going I'm afraid for the life of the
project. One of the great things about Rivendell vs. other Open Licensed
broadcast automation systems is that it is in current development and if
I get hit by a bus the station can find support for it.

It's one thing to have 1000 & 1 versions of *nix out there. There are
millions of users of that software and it can stand some diversity. I
don't think Rivendell is in the same position.

Chat with Fred and see if the work you're thinking about doing could be
merged back into BA at some point. If not, I'd tread lightly.

Love the energy though!

Bill Putney - KPTZ Port Townsend, WA

On 8/30/12 12:47 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> So one of the questions I had, was would it make sense to reconstruct/rewrite
> all of the UI components in Java?  We could construct a JNI interface into
> the binary libraries needed so that all the same tools could exist, but then
> we'd have a much more portable UI base it would seem to me.
>
> In top of that, I have lots of experience with using various communications
> technologies between Java virtual machines that would allow things to remain
> in separate processes where needed.
>
> Do that, would make it very easy to run rivendell on OS-X it would seem to me.
>
> Thoughts?  It's not a small amount of work, but with some buying, I'd be very
> willing to work on a proof of concept.
>
> In doing this, the resources, in terms of memory for Rivendell would increase
> some, but I don't think, that overall, we'd tremendously increase the class
> of machine required to get a great play out experience.
>
> Gregg
>
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Bill Putney <bi...@wwpc.com> wrote:
>
>> I spent some time a year ago trying to make Rivendell play on OS X but aside
>> from some driver issues it seemed like QT mis-matches were the major
>> malfunction. Fred G says a QT up-rev is on the list of things to do.
>>
>> Bill Putney - KPTZ Port Townsend, WA
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2012, at 10:33 AM, WBHM Web Operations <la...@wbhm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to compile a checkout from:
>>>
>>> cvs -d:pserver:c...@cvs.rivendellaudio.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot checkout
>>> rivendell
>>>
>>> On OSX lion, loosely following these instrctions:
>>>
>>> http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Install_Rivendell_on_OSX
>>>
>>> I say loosely, because these are obviously outdated.
>>>
>>> First thing I noticed was that configure told me "Qt4 not found, unable to
>>> continue",  so using MacPorts, I removed qt3 and installed qt4-mac-devel.
>>>
>>> Still no love.  I'm looking for the qt4 libs and headers to no avail.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have some Rivendell OSX knowledge to share.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Larry