This worked for me (Rivendell 2.2.1 on Ubuntu 12.04):

Find the rlm_icecast2.rlm file (which should have been created when you build
from source). If can't find the rlm file or it doesn't work please see further
down for how to compile.

Make a text file called e.g. rlm_icecast2.conf and put the following in it:

; rlm_icecast2.conf
;
[Icecast1]

Username=source

Password=password

Hostname=192.168.1.16

Tcpport=8000

Mountpoint=/Yourstationstream.mp3

; Format String.  The metadata to be sent each time RDAirPlay changes
; play state, including any wildcards as placeholders for metadata values.
; The following wildcards are available:
;
;  Now  Next  Field
;  ----------------------------------------------
;   %n   %N   The Rivendell cart number
;   %h   %H   Event length (in milliseconds)
;   %g   %G   The Rivendell group name
;   %t   %T   Title
;   %a   %A   Artist
;   %l   %L   Album
;   %y   %Y   Year
;   %b   %B   Record Label
;   %c   %C   Client
;   %e   %E   Agency
;   %m   %M   Composer
;   %p   %P   Publisher
;   %u   %U   User Definied
FormatString=%t by %a

; Log Selection
MasterLog=Yes

Aux1Log=Yes
Aux2Log=No

; Additional Icecast2 mountpoints can be configured by adding new sections...
; [Icecast2]
; Username=source
; etc

In rdadmin, go to manage hosts and choose your playout machine. Then go to the
settings for Rdairplay. Click "Configure Now and Next parameters". In Loadable
modules click "Add". Click select and navigate to the rlm_icecast2.rlm file.
Once chosen, in the argument line give the full path to the conf file e.g.
/home/rduser/scripts/rlm_icecast2.conf.

Back at the starting rdadmin page, click Manage groups and make sure that any
groups you want now and next data to be transmitted for have "Transmit Now and
Next data" ticked.

Providing you have curl installed it should all now work. tcptrack was a good
tool to see which machine wasn't sending/listening.

If the rlm_icecast2.rlm is missing or doesn't work, you can compile like this:

Install libcurl4-gnutls-dev

Download the source code for your version of Rivendell

Build the rlm by going to the rlm source dir and editing the rlm_icecast2.c
file so that
#include <rlm/rlm/h> reads #include "rlm.h"
Then type:
gcc -fPIC -Wall -lcurl -I.. -shared rlm_icecast2.c -o rlm_icecast2.rlm
Copy the newly generated rlm somewhere convenient and select it via rdadmin

Hope this helps.

Mike