I burnt a lot of light bulbs trying to get darkice and jack to talk, and
wound up with a server using alsa darkice and icecast2. I was planning to
use rotter but created a logging system using mplayer.
In theory it should work with jack_auto but it didn't and I am convinced
that all of these programs need a lot of work to deal with a myriad of
kernel and release variations. Hang in there with darkice and icecast2,
together they can deliver mp3 and ogg streams. Getting darkice to start on
boot was a bit of a mish. It has to run in a terminal and be started after
icecast has had time to breathe. I am about to go live with it so not
getting excited yet.

Robert Jeffares
Radio Spice