On Mar 7, 2017, at 10:29, James Greenlee <ja...@madsonics.com> wrote:
> This isn't a SS8.2, it's a straight 8x2 from 1995.  According to the manual
> provided by Broadcast Tools, the default speed is 2400 8n1 which works fine
> with minicom. Unfortunately, Rivendell doesn't for some reason.
>
> The solution of making shell scripts is workable, but I think we're just
> going to step up to a new switcher.

Before going there, have you tried a null modem cable on the serial port of
your Rivendell machine, connecting it up to another computer running at 2400
(8N1) to see what minicom vs. Rivendell produces?

This is your best best to determine what's actually going on.  If you get
strange characters from RD when doing this, but minicom works fine, then you
may have to delve down to hex mode in minicom (or another terminal emulations
program) to see the actual codes that are sent and then try to figure out what
protocol/settings are being used by RD -- or, just manually brute-force try the
many different settings with minicom on the RD machine and see what they come
out as on the far end of the null modem cable until you hit a match.

My bet is that Rivendell isn't initializing the port correctly.

BTW, you didn't mention the process you used to test minicom, but I'm
hoping/guessing you stopped the RD daemons to run minicom on the same computer.
 If you didn't stop the daemons but were able to successfully open up the port
with minicom, I'd really wonder what port RD is actually opening.  Serial ports
are generally only able to be controlled by one application at a time (the lock
file that the first comm program creates usually tells subsequent programs to
disallow accessing the same port).

(That being said, I have successfully used shell scripts in the past to send
commands directly to the serial port while minicom had it open (this was useful
to use a cron job to send a timestamp/keepalive and telemetry command to a
device while using minicom to log the output), but I was not attempting to read
data back out of the serial port back to the CLI.)

—
Sherrod Munday
<smun...@ieee.org>