On Nov 5, 2018, at 16:17, Richard Elen <re...@brideswell.com> wrote:

> While the Windows system could no doubt play the WAV files produced by
> Rivendell, they may not contain any metadata, so it wouldn't know what they
> were.

They don’t. This was one of the fundamental design principles laid down at the
very inception of the project: the audio store contains *only* audio; all other
metadata goes in the SQL database.

> I wouldn't dream of using a lossy compression scheme on the library. I just
> find it interesting that RD would turn an mp3 file into a WAV file (or a FLAC
> file into a WAV file for that matter), neither of which confer any sonic
> benefit.

It's a matter of standards-compliance. The European Broadcasting Union has
codified the standard audio storage format for use in professional broadcast
storage and play-out systems. Rivendell (as well as many proprietary systems)
adhere to these standards:

        https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3285.pdf

So, while it’s common short-hand in many shops to use ‘WAV’ to mean
‘uncompressed PCM’, WAV is actually just a container format (specifically, a
Microsoft RIFF format, similar to AVI and similar formats) that can enclose
many different audio encodings.

|      There is nothing unexplainable, only that which has yet to      |
|      be explained."                                                  |
|                                                 --Dr. Who            |