On 5/10/21 11:45, Rob Landry wrote:

> Here is the x11vnc command:
>
> /usr/local/bin/x11vnc -display :0 -auth guess -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd
> -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -shared -forever -bg -rfbport 5900
>
> It's run by a startup script triggered by root's crontab at boot time.
>
> There are no entries in any logs that show any problem.

Looks like a reasonably set of command line options. How is it being
started?

My next step in troubleshooting might be to run x11vnc under strace(1),
like this:

     strace -f -ff -tt -s 1024 -o /tmp/x11vnc /usr/local/bin/x11vnc
-display :0 -auth guess -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -o
/var/log/x11vnc.log -shared -forever -bg -rfbport 5900

(watch the text wrap)

The problem with this is the ever-growing files in /tmp. strace writes
its output to those files until x11vnc crashes again. This makes it
problematic if you cannot reliably *make* x11vnc crash. You could
throttle the tmpfile growth by limiting the system calls strace records,
but this might also remove valuable troubleshooting information...

At this point I'm not sure what to tell you, other than see if you can
reliably recreate the conditions under which x11vnc crashes. If you can
do that, it will be much easier to run x11vnc under strace and see
exactly where it crashes.

   ~David