Jonathan Gordon wrote:
how about bringing them back to a sane level like they used to be?
18months ago we wernt having this disucssion, filetype colours, icons
in menus, and then custom icons happened. Would these have going in
today? I doubt it. the improved (read: pretty) line selector is
another thing that adds nothing. study mode only got in because it was
a drive-by-commit... oh and its still there...

Are these "mediocre" features? well they arent completly crap and I'd
like to find someone who can say they add something which was really
missing, so fine call them what you will, but 18 months ago here was
no problem with these, now (and for the last year at least) these
wouldnt make the cut.
If they wouldn't make the cut, why are we even considering multifont? Why did we add conditional viewports? Why are we interested in positional list viewports and skinnable progress bar?

Clearly, some features that don't "add" functionality are still in the area of things we want. Since this isn't about any specific feature, I'd say these alone prove we're willing to consider features that aren't purely functional.

And as a note, study mode offers a very much improved ability to seek both quickly long distances, and finely afterward, in very large files. Something Rockbox didn't really have before. It was very easy to overshoot significantly with the previous seek method, if your target point was in the middle of a file.

So, claiming their "insane" is a bit much. It's clear we don't reject every feature out of hand, and in fact, if you look at recently rejected patches in the tracker I think you'll find there aren't too many you'd argue for inclusion of.

Is this about the actual barrier for entry, or is this just a complaint about the fact that people *will* debate (and possibly complain) about features that do enter, but they don't like. Because honestly, you're not going to get people to agree to stop objecting to them, period. Meanwhile, evidence clearly shows we don't have that high a percentage of rejections, and very very very few reversions.