Heh heh.. I recall that finding something per-thread in this area is ...
difficult.  However, it's probably not impossible; you likely need to
create a sort of thread specifically for servicing time requests, and
switch time zones constantly within that thread depending upon the
caller's requests.  Nasty?  You betcha.  Thread-safe?  Yep... and it'd
work across unixes.

 I'll see if I can find something about localtime() and strftime()...
should I presume you will not have access to the libical library functions
for the areas of code we're concerned about here?