Feel free to make use of the libical API if you want to.  I am content to
make this functionality unavailable in cases where libical is not compiled
in (believe it or not, Citadel will still build without libical, though
it's seeming increasingly silly to offer this option).

 Happy news: WebCit already has a wrapper function called wc_strftime()
that wraps either strftime_l() or strftime() depending on what is
available.  We use strftime_l() to handle per-thread locale.  So
theoretically that'll take care of all the message timestamp display
issues, although there are probably a bunch of places in the calendar that
we need to observe the timezone also.