Hi ReactOS friends and colleagues.

There have been exciting years, I first started to have an eye on the freewin95 project. When I first found the ReactOS project and saw that they actually gave away free zip-files with files to try it out I was eager to test it my self, I first downloaded my first “bochs-1.3-reactos-images.zip” the third april 2002, and it worked! I was amazed, so I downloaded and tested everything that I could test. A long time has gone since that time and I have seen a lot of progress during the years, however it's a lot of years, for me about nine years of downloading, compiling, testing and reading svn- messages. For many people it has been too many years and many have fallen away, now however we are close to something that can actually be used, the kernel is pretty stable other parts of the OS is improving and getting there too.

During the last many years we have had about 100 individuals in the IRC channel at all time, it indicates in my mind that we attract as many people as we loose, I guess that is kind of the status for our project, we should be able to change that in a short while I think. If we can release a some real-life applications for our OS we could draw some attention that could be permanent and the project could really start to grow for real.

I and Aleksey met in Björkvik, Sweden for a discussion on how to get the ball rolling, we have some suggestions that could serve as step stones for such development. The key is to release a package of the project and see to that it can really do that but not everything else, for example, a web server, it doesn't need all the OS but the ones it needs it has to do really good.

Even with this in mind ReactOS isn't well suited for many real applications, so we just looked at a few to see if it would be a way to go, you could perhaps suggest some more, and we would welcome that, we only have to ensure there isn't too much work to actually come to the finish line. Here we present some ideas and what needs to get in place to actually make it work.

Webserver
- Network subsystem (mainly tcpip.sys driver, and some winsock improvement)
- VNC support (future RDP support)
- Apache/MySQL/PHP support
- XAMPP with toolbox
- WEBMIN

Thin Client (LiveCD or BootCD)
- Re-port our MSTSC.EXE
- Local printing (USB/LPT printer support?)

Please give us your opinion and please also add possible ideas that you have and think through what needs to get in place to see it come to pass.

Yours sincerely,
Aleksey & Jan (Jaix)
through Jan