I think the real goal with moving to a platform such as github is reducing
the entry barriers for new contributors. As it has been mentioned already,
almost all projects who moved from SVN with "send patches" contribution
system, to Git/Hg with Pull Requests have got non-negligible growth in
contributions.

The reason I'd agree with using github as a target, is simply their svn
bridge that allows developers who want to avoid git to still commit to a
fork with SVN and be able to send pull requests afterward.

I have no experience with Hg beyond cloning one or two repositories that I
needed code from (years ago), so I don't know how they compare
feature-wise, or what the best GUI interfaces are for it. I do however know
that without tortoiseGit, I'd probably still be pushing to remain on SVN.

And for anyone reading this who knows SVN but hasn't really learned to use
DVCSs yet, there is one key concept that makes all the difference for
someone used to SVN to understand how git works: the fact that the
operations you normally do with SVN are THE SAME on git, they just work on
the local repository clone, instead of the server:

   - Svn checkout -> git checkout from local clone
   - Svn commit -> git commit to local clone
   - Svn diff -> git diff from local clone
   - ...

Git simply has a separate set of concepts for interacting with remotes:
Clone, Pull, Fetch, Rebase, Push, Force-push, Squash, etc. The whole thing
becomes much less confusing if you get that idea.