Doug Renshaw was kind enough to respond to my pleas from 15 March for
information on how folks currently (or will) handle the ISA and GS for
routing standard transactions; he has graciously agreed to let me pass
on Highmark's plans as grist for discussion.  Other than Doug, only Tim
Collins and John Bristor have responded. Tim divulged some information
on how Kentucky Medicaid might be handling IDs, and John Bristor shared
what appears to be some kind of Medicaid EOB with strange and wondrous
proprietary IDs.  At this rate, I don't have too much to work from:  I
hate to nag, but with the hundreds of people on this list, surely some
more folks could throw information my way so Ron Bowron and I can do a
"proper" requirements analysis.

Doug said that Highmark will require that its NAIC code (54771) be
submitted as the Receiver ID in the ISA. In the GS, he will require the
NAIC of the payer that the transaction applies to, which could be that
of Highmark or several other associated payers. NAIC codes are 5
characters, and the GS receiver ID can have a payer-defined 3 character
suffix applied to the NAIC. In some cases, they will use a
Highmark-assigned alpha suffix to manage internal routing requirements
of stuff within the same payer.

For the Sender ID in both the ISA and GS, Highmark requires the use of a
proprietary trading partner ID.  For transactions coming from a
Clearinghouse, they'll have a trading partner ID for the clearinghouse
which will be tied to individual providers.

Also, Highmark requires a logon and password to connect to its network
for sending and receiving EDI files. Highmark is considering use of the
Internet to replace its dial-in network, but use of a logon and password
would still be required.

Highmark will only accept standard transactions, and only for a set list
of payers who are in the Highmark "family". If a provider attempts to
send transactions to payers not on Highmark's list, they will be
rejected. Highmark is not attempting to offer providers a "portal" for
submission of their claims to any and all payers - only a means of
getting claims directly to itself and several of its subsidiaries.  Doug
does agree with my belief (by reading the NPRM) that payers will have to
offer providers a direct "portal," or else will have to contract with a
clearinghouse to collect standard transactions for them.

As for Highmark's use of NAIC suffixes in the GS, they spell out some
specific uses for particular transactions as required for internal
routing and processing purposes. Specifically, Highmark will require a
"V" on vision claims, and for institutional claims, they will require a
"W" if the institution is in its Western Region and a "C" if in its
Central Region.   Doug recognizes that NAIC codes are not a solution
that works for all health plans, and that Highmark may need to change
its requirements if and when a national plan ID is established.

Likewise, according to Tim Collins, Kentucky Medicaid now has plans to
re-assign proprietary provider IDs in anticipation of HIPAA .  These IDs
are "intelligent," in that the 10-digit number used on the ISA denotes
the type of submitter (e.g., Medical Practice, Software Vendor or
Billing agent), further qualified by the type of institution on whose
behalf the transaction is being submitted (e.g., Hospital, clinic,
pharmacy, dental, etc.).

Doug Renshaw didn't go into detail on how Highmark's provider IDs are
generated, or whether they are "intelligent" or not.  I guess that
doesn't matter.  What I do know now from these few "scenarios" -
including the Medicaid sample from John Bristor - is that payers sure do
like proprietary provider IDs!  But do providers feel the same way?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320